Friday, April 20, 2012

-Impress:  Make (someone) feel admiration and respect; affect or influence deeply. 

A few years ago, I tried to impress this guy in my grade.  He wasn't exactly very Christlike- I wasn't even sure if he was a born again believer.  He always got into trouble, but I looked past that and focused on his looks. (Later, I applied the knowledge that the heart is more important than outside appearance. *I Samuel 16:7, "But the LORD said unto Samuel, Look not on his countenance, or on the height of his stature; because I have refused him: for the LORD seeth not as man seeth; for man looketh on the outward appearance, but the LORD looketh on the heart.") 

One day, he made fun of this other person while chatting with me and later, I told the person about it.  Then, that person told the teacher and the guy and I got into trouble even though I wasn't the "original sinner". All throughout that year I was miserable- I tried to please the guy, others, and become popular.  I got into a lot of trouble because I kept focusing on my goal of pleasing others and becoming one of them.  My only goal now in life is to please God and accomplish His will for me.  As one of the preachers said here at school, you shouldn't focus on the secondary things like "What car should I buy?" or "Which college should I go to?"  Just follow the will of God- that's easier said than done, but if we just all read the Bible and meditate on the clear commands of God, we are taking a huge step and God will lead us in our decisions with the secondary things in life.

No comments: